Sunday, January 23, 2011

SNOW!!

I think you can tell by my previous blog and Facebook posts (mine and Max's)  that we have a lot of snow here.   Weekend before last we got so much snow we literally had to dig ourselves out of the house.  In this blog post I thought I would just show you a lot of snow pictures around our house.

Here's a picture of me Saturday a week ago trying to get off the front porch so that we could go grocery shopping:  This was before Max did a lot of shoveling.


Max was trying to go around to the back of the house to take a picture of the back porch.  I was trying to follow him, stepping in the holes he made in the snow.


In my first post I showed you a picture of the back porch covered in snow.  Here's how the back porch looks now.  You can't even see any of the patio furniture.  I took this picture out of the patio door.


We get these crazy icicles here.  It is really bright and sunny most days.  The snow then begins to melt and drip and icicles form, each day getting a little bigger.  There are some huge ones hanging on some of the buildings in town.  In fact, people have been killed while walking under one when it's fallen.  Here in Zima, workers walk around knocking them off the houses.  Here is a closeup photo of some pretty big icicles on the house across the street.


Midweek I decided it was time to dig the car out in case I wanted to go someplace.  Not really a good idea to wait till the last minute.  Zima will clear your driveway when your car is not in it.  When we got the big dump of snow the previous Friday, we moved the car to the rec center around the corner so that they would clear the driveway.  We moved it back but then we got a lot more snow.  Here's the car before I cleaned it off and dug it out midweek:


I cleaned off the car and cleared enough snow so that I could move it and then the workers came and cleared the driveway.  This is the day that I posted on Facebook that I shoveled snow for the first time. 


Since I took the above picture, I had the workers come back to get a little more of the pile in front of the garage.  They have a big huge shoveler used to clear the roads and also a smaller bobcat.  The bobcat was busy and couldn't come, but the big one moved more snow so that I was able to shovel enough so that we can go in and out of the garage.  I shoveled a lot that day.  It would be nice to keep the car in the garage.  The bad thing about that is, if it's a warm day, the snow will fall off the roof and there will be a big huge pile in front of the garage.  Then it takes a really long time to get your car out.  We leave ours out and just clean it off each time we want to go someplace. It's crazy when the snow falls off the roof.  The first time I heard this big loud thump, it scared me to death.   I didn't know what it was.  Even now, it still surprises me because you never know when it will happen.

Love to you all,
Karen  


1 comment:

  1. Craziness! Might it be easier to keep the car in the garage and only have to shovel snow when it avalanches off the roof? Scary icicles!

    ReplyDelete